Sunday, November 11, 2012

Berowne's 143

(Also for Three Word Wednesday and ABC Wednesday: "R" is for "The Remembering")
(Strange. The prompt this week, the threat of violence in World War I, the forest seen in the distance, suddenlhree y had me thinking of an entirely different event, an entirely different era. It's a bit of a stretch but it made me want to post my version of a familiar story. Listen, as an old man speaks...)
I know, I know; I heard the news.
She took her own life. It’s just as well; she would have died anyway.
Because truth is, she died before she died. What is it, a creature that still contains the outline of human form but whose sanity is wholly, irretrievably lost?
Her constant babbling about the cause; the mind was broken, shattered.
But that is The Remembering, which is what I try to avoid because it belongs to the dim borderlines of the past; it implicates me in what has been done. Instead, I think of now. I think of my new life.
Yes, it’s a castle. But anyone can take a castle. This is more. It’s a fortress. And a fortress is – what is that word I want? Unassailable? Impregnable? Yes, that’s it! Impregnable! Safe. Secure.
That’s what I thought. That’s what I believed. Until...
The day came that I glanced out toward the horizon, as I do every day. I saw nothing. Nothing different. There are trees out there, not much else - a forest.
Then the Thing happened. The thing happened that could not happen.
In the long twisted history of man, in the millenia since humankind first emerged from that alluvial mud, such a thing had never before taken place.
The forest – began to move.
It moved toward me!
I thought for a while that my mind too was in a state of collapse. Hallucination, illusion, surely that must be it! But my mind was not broken; it was clear. I had thought, I had cerebration, I had reason. I could see and understand what was happening.
Even though it could not be happening.
But the forest kept moving, progressing slowly but inexorably toward me.
However, I was in my impregnable fortress. Safe.
Safe..?

[Forgive Berowne. He tried a little test, to see if somone would "get it." It was described as a version of a familiar story. Here's the question: What story? And here's the answer: "Macbeth"]
(Also submitted to Sunday Scribblings.)

40 comments:

R. Burnett Baker said...

The old adage "can't see the forest for the trees" is made irrelevant by this story!

Jae Rose said...

Even the most carefully built fortress cannot withstand some invasions..the line about her being dead before she was dead really bounced off the page to me...Jae

Gail said...

Has the fortress been breached?

Kathe W. said...

wow- a tragic story- "she was dead before she was dead"
and the forest moving inexorably toward the fortress....there is no safe place is there.

Tess Kincaid said...

I would love to be swallowed by a forest...

Old Egg said...

This is quite a conundrum. Each of us may find a different answer but having just read an unrelated post my mind was thinking about the equality of the sexes (or lack of it) and the slow advance that still has so many hurdles to cross. But that advancing forest will win eventually.

Helen said...

Thank you for the answer Lyn ... I would have pondered it all day. Beautiful writing Berowne!!

Berowne said...

Lyn gave the correct answer. I've deleted it so that others may have a chance to take part. But congratulations, Lyn!

rel said...

Reality is a figment of our imagination. We create our own reality and our own refuge.
rel

J Cosmo Newbery said...

I don't know. It is a fascinating read. My mind ponders Alzheimer's.

ninotaziz said...

The only trees I know which moved were Treebeard and gang in LOTR. But who took her own life?

for this mag, I was thinking of the war against nature.

Berowne said...

Another winner! SilverGardenia came up with the correct answer. I've deleted her comment so others can take part, but congrats, SilverG!

Wander said...

Lord of the rings would have been my answer as well, but I am woefully un-classically trained, I liked this though, thank you

Wander

Berowne said...

Sue J also answered correctly. Comment deleted. Congratulations, Sue. Anyone else like to try?

Daydreamertoo said...

It speaks to me of a gigantic ego suddenly being deflated. Not sure about any of it but, you tell a good tale.

kaykuala said...

Nice prose Berowne! I would have to wait and see when the answer is revealed. Nicely!

Hank

Berowne said...

Spot on! Laurie Kolp gave the correct answer. Deleted. Anyone else like to try?

Silent Otto said...

very "day of the triffids", Bero. sometimes when i am planting trees in a spring creek, the light goes very bright and i am forced to sit down and take a breath, knowing i am not alone, that there is life all about me. and no, i am not on anything !

Susan Anderson said...

I'm guessing Hamlet.

??

=)

Berowne said...

Credit Green Speck with the correct answer. Congratulations! (Comment deleted.) Anyone else like to try?

Dave King said...

It's a fantastic story as it stands... I'm not sure I want to know the answer... but I'll maybe come back for a peep... Thank you for this. Both gripping and thought-provoking.

Berowne said...

Another winner! Richlyevocative came up with the correct answer. Congrats. (Comment deleted.) Anyone else like to try?

Carver said...

Your stories are always so good. I don't know the answer. Carver, ABC Wed. Team

Roger Owen Green said...

It's because I've been reading Wicked, but the fortress reminds me of the Wizard of Oz.

carol l mckenna said...

We create our own reality and there is no 'castle' ~ 'change is the one constant we have' ~ Safe? illusion ~ day at a time ~ let go and however you want to express it ~ Enjoy the now ~ (A Creative Harbor) ^_^

ps. Great post ~ ^_^

Stafford Ray said...

This is my second visit, so I give up and will watch with interest for the answer.

Berowne said...

A correct answer from Leslie. (Comment deleted.) Congratulations, leslie. Anyone else like to try?

Berowne said...

Lady in Read also came up with the correct answer. (Comment deleted.) Anyone else feeling lucky?

Berowne said...

Hildred and Charles also had the right answer - our cup is runnething over. (Comment deleted.) Maybe there'll be others.

Sharp Little Pencil said...

I think the fortress was a fortification of some sort and the "trees" were troops behind bushes as camouflage. Fun test, Berowne, and I don't care if I'm wrong!

Sheilagh Lee said...

First I thought of Lord the rings then Psalm 62

The Bug said...

Darn it - I came back to see what the answer is & you've deleted them all :)

Berowne said...

We'll publish the answer tomorrow. Thanks for your interest.

Unknown said...

Can't wait to find out the answer! Will be back tomorrow...

Berowne said...

The answer to the Berowniac quiz of this past week is (Drum roll):
"Macbeth."
If you'd like to read the text that served as the source, check out Act 5, Scenes 4 and 5.
Thanks to everyone who participated; we must do this again some time.

Dandelion Girl said...

Late to the party, but I'm guessing Macbeth. I love the way you wrote this from this angle. Brilliant :)

Mama Pajama said...

huh...engaging. thanks for sharing!

Belva Rae Staples said...

This is great!! Are we ever really safe? I think not. I've already seen the answer, so I won't pretend I haven't.

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Excellent write.

"Because truth is, she died before she died." Sad stuff.

(Don't think I would have got the answer...)

Anna :o]

Carver said...

You are such a good story teller.

Thanks you for the poem/comment on mine. I loved it.

 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Christy Skagg's "A Little Bit of That" kit.