Sunday, January 27, 2013

153 Quiz Answer

The answer to this week’s quiz question is – “Modern Times,” Chaplin’s classic film.
Bloggers who answered correctly are Dick Jones, Lady in Read, Altonian, Lyn, Sharp Little Pencil, Tess Kincaid, Bee’s Blog and Za faran. Congratulations to all.


(Also for Three-Word Wednesday and ABC Wednesday: "C" is for "chow")
Well, the Berownial quiz last week was about a play – which got an excellent response, I’m pleased to say – so let’s have a movie as a quiz subject this week.
I wrote the following, based on a famous motion picture. Your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is this: tell us which motion picture?

Mr. Barnes: “We have quite a few people come into these offices with some far-out theory or other. We don't subscribe to most of them. You say you have something different?”
Mr. Welch: “We do indeed. As I think you’ll agree.”
“The name of your firm again?”
“Behavioral Systems, Incorporated. We describe our system as ‘On-site grazing’.”
“Whatever that means.”
“What it means, Mr. Barnes, is that I am here to save your corporation money, a lot of money.”
“I’ve heard that before.”
“Well, let me show you what I mean. Around noon time, all those workers on your factory floors take a lunch break, right?”
“That’s right.”
“That break lasts for how long – hour, half-hour? “
“A half-hour. That’s all anyone needs for lunch.”
“Okay. When you add up all that time, all those half-hours when no work gets done, have you ever estimated what that down time costs your corporation , in actual dollars?”
“What’s the point? People have to have some chow. They can’t work all day without a lunch break.”
“That’s where this comes in. You may have wondered why I’ve brought this rather odd-looking device with me. This is science, Mr. Barnes. The scientific result of the study of social and emotional factors on the economic impact of a corporation’s bottom line. This will change the drab lives of your workers.”
“Whew. You talk fast.”
“That’s because I’m excited about our product, and what it can do for you! This device is our Dynamic Feeder Model 4-A. It makes for a contented labor force, and it saves you money. This marvelous machine feeds a worker while he works; no longer is there a need for a lunch break!”
“H’mm. That is interesting.”
“It twines aroud the worker like the tendrils of a plant and in its pulsating operation it feeds him - it even supplies a napkin afterwards. And there’s a speed control. It operates at the speed that adjusts to the individual worker. Oh, there’s just one thing.”
“What’s that?”
“When someone is eating corn on the cob, you’ve got to be careful about the rate of speed. If it goes too fast, it can result in a real mess.”

Go ahead; have a go. The above is suggestive of which film?
(Also submitted to Sunday Scribblings.)

42 comments:

Josie Two Shoes said...

No idea at all, but it most definitely sounds like an interesting movie, very strange indeed! :-)

AM Zafaran said...

Charlie Chaplin's Modern Times! :-)

Kathe W. said...

Cheaper by the Dozen??? This is a wild guess!

The Blog of Bee said...

Modern Times

Berowne said...

The quiz is starting off with a bang. Both Bee's Blog and Za faran have come up with the correct answer.

Anonymous said...

feeds a worker while he works reminds me of the famous I Love Lucy scene when she eats the chocolates

Lucy Candy Factory Video

George S Batty said...

I'll take a shot at "Automatic people Feeder"

Berowne said...

Your comment was an interesting try, gsb, but you don't give us the name of the movie.

Tess Kincaid said...

Tough one Mr. B. ...wild guess...Modern Times?

Berowne said...

Big news. Tess Kincaid - yes, that Tess Kincaid - has given us the right answer.

Leovi said...

Impressive. I hope Queno put that machine in my workplace.

Sharp Little Pencil said...

I'm thinking "Modern Times," the Chaplin classic where he was actually "caught in the machine." Very nice! Amy
http://sharplittlepencil.com/2013/01/27/extra-extra-editorial-comment-by-moi/

Berowne said...

Sharp Little Pencil has just joined the select group of bloggers who have come up with the correct answer. Who's next?

Unknown said...

I don't know the movie, but I do know I hope I never have to work at that job, even if lunch comes with a napkin!

Helen said...

The 40 Year Old Virgin?

izzy said...

I do enjoy your replays but I never
have been good at guessing- thanks for your support I appreciate it!

Lyn said...

So I think "Modern Times" because it looks like it...!!!??

Berowne said...

Lyn is back! Yes, Lyn has - again - come up with a correct answer.

Dick Jones said...

Charlie Chaplin's 'Modern Times'.

kaykuala said...

No inkling, Berowne! I got a right answer only once before. I'll continue lurking though! Nicely!

Hank

Berowne said...

Chalk up Dick Jones as another who has given us the right answer.

Roger Owen Green said...

I'm even less certain than last time - Soylent Green?

Leslie: said...

Gosh, I'm stumped! Will have to check back for the answer.

Leslie
abcw team

Altonian said...

This can only be Chaplin's 'Modern Times' - am I right, or am I right?

Berowne said...

The correct answers keep showing up; this one is from Altonian. Congratulations.

Jae Rose said...

Ooh..like this one..something sci-if? Metropolis? (Though must confess have never made it through to the end)

Sheilagh Lee said...

the Matrix?

Stan Ski said...

The Sound of Music :)

Berowne said...

I think "Metropolis" was a very good guess, jaerose. Not quite the correct one, however.

Lady In Read said...

Berowne, as always, excellent quiz.. my try - 'Modern Times'

Lady In Read said...

my answer - Berowne to yet another wonderful quiz - Modern Times

Berowne said...

Not one to do things by halves, Lady in Read answered correctly - twice. :-)

Tumblewords: said...

Very visual but I see no title...hmmm...

Old Egg said...

I am always wise after the event! You have certainly got a great series of quizzes going. It is really frustrating so many crack it before I do. My only hope is to suggest "Cheaper by the Dozen."

Lady In Read said...

:) haha.. good to know i was correct - doubly!!

Pratibha said...

how boring that lunch break would be !!

Sharp Little Pencil said...

I am SO PROUD. See, you had to go a little "beneath" Shakespeare for me, although I did (belatedly) get "Taming of the Shrew." Loved this, and thanks for the mention! Amy
http://sharplittlepencil.com/2013/01/31/chanteuse-in-sneakers/

The Blog of Bee said...

Thank you. Good quiz!

Anonymous said...

I would never have guessed the name of the movie.

Anyway, I do not like this robot-feeding thing for work -efficiency's sake. It is dehumanizing. I hope our times do not get to this ah...level of efficiency.

~Imelda

Silent Otto said...

Schindlers List

Berowne said...

Sorry, Kutamun, that was the subject of a quiz last December.

Stan Ski said...

Best guess is Groundhog Day...

 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Christy Skagg's "A Little Bit of That" kit.