Sunday, February 10, 2013

155 Quiz Answer


Here’s the answer. In Homer’s epic poem, “The Odyssey,” Odysseus finally makes it home to his wife Penelope, after a long and adventure-filled voyage. Almost no one recognizes him at home, except for his old dog Argos.
A fine, upstanding group of bloggers came up with the right answer: Magical Mystical Teacher, Little Nell, Hildred, Lyn, Ann Grenier, Sharp Little Pencil, Karen S, ninotaziz, Kathe W, Altonian and Zafaran. My thanks to all who participated.

(Also for Three-Word Wednesday and ABC Wednesday: "E" is for "Epic")

Above: Odie and Penny. :-)

This week’s quiz has to do with an epic tale that has been popular for centuries.
I wrote the following, basing it loosely on this work. Your assignment, assuming you accept it, is: tell us which epic.

You remember Odie Harper? Salesman extraordinaire?
He made quite a living traveling all over the midwest, hustling the products his company produced. He was finally promoted to Sales Director, a job that paid very well.
Trouble was, it meant he was out on the road for months at a time.
Well, Odie used a lot of that extra coin to fix himself up – new suits, new car, new moustache (actually one of those Van Dyke jobs), not to mention that he also began wearing a very expensive toupee – so that when he got back no one in his home town had the slightest idea who he was.
He thought, this may be a bit cumbersome but it's great. If Penny doesn’t recognize me I’ll be able to check if she’s been a good wife or if she’s been playing around while I was gone.
He let himself in his house with his key and was pretty shook up to see that there were three guys sitting in the living-room, waiting to see Penny. She was away in another room.
The thing about Penny was, she was a very handsome woman. In addition, since word had gotten around that maybe Odie was dead – which would mean that she would come into a pile of dough – she had become an object of interest to all the unattached males of the community. Including some not so “un.”
Though they all had known Odie, none of the three dudes who were sprawled about on his sofa and armchair recognized him when he entered the house. That new rug he was wearing had changed him completely.
But you see, those poor guys didn’t know Penny as well as they thought they did. Let me illuminate. She was Old School; her old man, Odie, may have gone off and been away for months, but she was true to him.
They had morbidly figured she must be lonely, so lonely that she might be interested in a little hanky-panky. Or at least in a little hanky, if not sny actual panky.
Once they realized that the guy with the spiffy hairdo was really Odie, and that he might go on a rampage because they were there, they decided to split - and in a rather hurried manner.
So the end of the story was that Odie was home at long last and was delighted to learn that Penny was a fine wife. (Actually, if you want my opinion, she was far too good for him.)
Earlier I said no one recognized Odie when he got back. Not quite true. Old Shep, who must have been about a hundred and twenty – in dog years – tottered over to him, wagging his tail in greeting. No one else had recognized Odie, but Shep knew him right away.
(Also submitted to Sunday Scribblings.)

39 comments:

AM Zafaran said...

Odesseus and Penelope from Homer's Odyssey.

Berowne said...

Zafaran - already with the right answer. Congratulations!

Helen said...

I'll see your Odie and raise you a Penny ..

Altonian said...

This surely can only be 'The Odyssey'.

Antonietta May said...

I love it! great little story.

George S Batty said...

never really know but I'll take a shot a willy Loman and "Death of Salesman"

Kathe W. said...

Hmmmm is this about Penelope and Odysseus ?? Happy Valentines Day!

Berowne said...

Kathe W and Altonian have also coughed up, as we knew they would, the correct answer.

Little Nell said...

Oh dear, I'm finding these quizzes so hard.

21 Wits said...

I haven't read a word yet, it's printing as I comment, and I'll take it outside (to my frozen deck!) and give it a read- happy that the snow has stopped and for a moment it's 32 degrees! A heat wave! (I hope it's all about hot and heavy something- hehehe!)

Berowne said...

"I'll take it outside (to my frozen deck!)"
Shows you what this cold weather can do. I thought you wrote, "outside to my frozen duck!"
:-)

ninotaziz said...

Odyssey!

ninotaziz said...

Dear Berowne, the names were a dead give away this week!

21 Wits said...

Clever hints, this week helped. Homer's The Odyssey and their real names were, Penelope and Odysseus!

Sharp Little Pencil said...

Um. The Odyssey. Maybe? Amy
http://sharplittlepencil.com/2013/02/10/dive-right-in/

Berowne said...

Karen S, ninotaziz and Sharp Little Pencil have all produced the correct answer. Congrats, all.

kaykuala said...

A silent observer again Berowne!

Hank

Ann Grenier said...

Yes Berowne, the person who said your names gave away the answer is perhaps correct and clued me in to The Odyssey (I admit to having Penelope slip my mind though;-)Thanks for a bit of fun.

Berowne said...

Ann Grenier is the latest to join that magical/mystical group of folks who know the right answer.

Berowne said...

"I'll see your Odie and raise you a Penny."
Sorry, no. The stakes are a bit too high...

Tumblewords: said...

As usual, I haven't a clue but I'll come back for the answer. The tale is a good read.

Silent Otto said...

It feels Odd, but i cant place it, perhaps a Dr Seuss tale? .
I am thinking it is the nativity tale from the bible, wizards sometimes travel in threes. . Cheers, Berowne.

Leslie: said...

It sounds familiar, especially with the old dog, but I can't come up with it right now. Good one! Love these quizzes - gets the brain cells working.

Leslie
abcw team

PhenoMenon, ABCW Team said...

I will come back to this to find the answer. Right now NO Clue

PhenoMenon, ABCW

Lyn said...

Odie? Like in The Odyssey? A clue? I'll take it!

Hildred said...

Well, I guess it must be Odysseus.

Berowne said...

More quiz news. Lyn, who seems to be batting about a thousand, has produced the correct answer, as has Hildred. Congratulations to both...

Little Nell said...

Oh hang on I've just re-read it in the clear light of day.I think it's Odysseus and his Penelope - Odie - pretty strong clue!

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Can't get this one Berowne - but love your story.

Anna :o]

Berowne said...

After some thought, Little Nell has also come up with the right answer.

Heidi said...

Oh! I know what the answer is, but this is my first time here and my phone isn't letting me navigate to read some of the previous posts to learn the rules. This us a really enjoyable and clever reworking if the original. Ands I agree, Penny was too good for him. Look forward to your next post (our at least getting to my computer to read some previous posts.)

Jazzbumpa said...

I have no idea what the epic is.

But this -
They had morbidly figured she must be lonely, so lonely that she might be interested in a little hanky-panky. Or at least in a little hanky, if not sny actual panky.

is pure gold.

Cheers
JzB

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Finally, I get to answer one of your quizzes and not feel like a fool doing it: Odysseus comes home. (Of course, if I'm wrong, as I very well could be, just toss my answer!)

Berowne said...

"Pure gold"? Man, there's a compliment! Thanks, JzB.

Berowne said...

Late news flash. Magical Mystical Teacher has just provided us with the correct answer.

Old Egg said...

Who cares what the answer is, your story stands alone. Curiously the dog is starting to ring bells but sadly the memory has gone.

Unknown said...

Wasnt sure until you mentioned Penny's fidelity. What a well-done post. Really enjoyed it. Found you on the ABC Wednesday hop and will be back for more.

Cheers,
Uttley

Unknown said...

ps. you should add a button to your site allowing ppl to add it to by RSS. I'd like to have you in my reader's feed.

-U

Mary said...

Missed the quiz ... but loved the story! Well done and to Old Shep too.

 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Christy Skagg's "A Little Bit of That" kit.