Sunday, April 7, 2013

163 Quiz Answer



The answer to this week’s quiz is “Glengarry Glen Ross,” the famous Pulitzer Prize-winning David Mamet play that also became a famous motion picture.
(Also submitted to Three-Word Wednesday and ABC Wednesday: "M" is for "Martin")
Here’s this week’s Berownial quiz question.  I wrote the following little scenelet which is based, loosely, on a famous play that was made into a famous movie.
Your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is: name the play. 

“Quite a resume you got, Martin.  We may have a spot for you here.”

“That’s wonderful, Mr Collins.  I’ve got a couple of letters of recommendation too.  Here, let me give them to you.”

“Not necessary.  Fact is, I’m not interested in what others have to say about you.  I’m just a facts and figures guy.  In other words, since this is a sales job all I want to know is how successful you’ve been as a salesman – in dollars and cents.”

“Well, I basked in the title of top salesman for my company, got a raise every year.  As you may know, the firm came to grief because of government over-regulation, among other reasons…”

“No need to go into all that.  We’re going to give you a shot.  We’ll find out if you’re sharp enough to handle the type of work we do around here.”

“Well, if you’re looking for a dedicated, hard-working employee who knows what the word loyal means, you’ll find…”

“Yeah, yeah; keep in mind I’m interested in only two things: can you sell and can you close?  Ever sell real estate?”

“Uh – not actually, no.”

“It’s not all that important.  A good salesman can sell a plot of land as well as a used Toyota.  We’ll find out.”

“Good.  And I certainly appreciate the opportunity.  I’ll be selling tracts of land?”

“Right.  You, my friend, are now an officially-appointed real estate agent and you’ll be selling your prospects, your potential buyers, on what we claim is one of the finest real estate developments in the country, located in the golden paradise of Arizona.”

“Sounds great.  That’s quite a distance from here.  Do we fly them out there to view the property?”

“Ha.  We’d be broke in a week if we ever did that.  No, they’ll ‘view the property’ by listening to what you say about it and the way you say it.  And we have a beautiful video you can show them – it’s not exactly of the property but it is of Arizona.”

“I see.”

“When we send you a prospect it will be someone who has already expressed interest, so all you have to do is close.  If you can’t do that, if you can’t close the deal, you’ll be out of here and maybe you should move on to a different profession.  I hear Taco Bell is hiring.”

(Also submitted to Sunday Scribblings)

 

29 comments:

Sasha A. Palmer said...

Glengarry Glen Ross?

Kathe W. said...

Wild guess....Death of a Salesman?? Happy week to you!

Berowne said...

We're starting off with a bang; The Happy Amateur has given us the right answer. Who's next?

Altonian said...

I read your piece, then turned in my chair and looked at the spine of a DVD on my film shelf; one of my favourites, so I am going with: 'Glengarry Glen Ross'.

Berowne said...

Hold the front page for replate! Altonian has just chimed in with the correct answer.

George S Batty said...

tried before but not sure if I succeeded...
Glengary Glen Ross

Anonymous said...

OK, I got this one == glengarry glen ross



Lower Body Wrap

Berowne said...

zongrik and gsb are two more who have provided us with the right answer - congrats, both.

Roger Owen Green said...

I'd think it was Glengarry Glen Ross except there was no swearing!

Little Nell said...

The only one that comes to mind is 'Glengarry Glen Ross'. It's a few years since I've seen it, so I could be on the wrong track.

Berowne said...

Little Nell and Roger Owen Green have just joined the distinguished group who know the right answer.

Anonymous said...

Haven't got a clue. But I'm intrigued to find out the answer.

Other Mary said...

Um...transcript from C-span? ;-)

Jae Rose said...

I thought the same as Kathe - but you are far too clever in your puzzles than that - damn!

Berowne said...

"Death of a Salesman" is a pretty good guess. It's just not the correct one.

Lyn said...

This feels like it could be Glengarry Glen Ross. Can't think of anything else, what the heck!!

Berowne said...

Lyn is back, and sure enough she has the right answer.

21 Wits said...

I wonder if my comment didn't post from earlier today? I believe it's Glengarry Glen Ross. - Karen S.

Heidi said...

How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying?

Sharp Little Pencil said...

Oh, I'm thinking Glengarry Glen Ross. Interesting aside - I once watched it on a plane. They had "sanitized" the swears, which are half the dialog. My favorite line: "Go frog yourself!" Hope I'm on target. Peace, Amy

Berowne said...

Karen S and Sharp Little Pencil have both sharpened their little pencils and given us the correct answer.

Silent Otto said...

The Firm with tom cruise

Leslie: said...

My first thought was Glengarry Gary Ross...

Leslie
abcw team

Anonymous said...

I so enjoy your takes =) I feel like I know this one ah but it alludes me

Berowne said...

Leslie has just joined the group of upstanding citizens who provide us with the right answer. Glad to have you with us, Leslie.

Yvonne Osborne said...

I would never have guessed. I could never be a salesman.

Sheilagh Lee said...

all I can think of is Poltergeist

Anonymous said...

Berowne, glad I got it right, but reading the other responses is really interesting. From Death of a Salesman to Poltergeist... I think folks are showing a breadth of possibility with these scenarios. Keep 'em coming! Amy

Berowne said...

Thanks for the encouraging words, Amy.

 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Christy Skagg's "A Little Bit of That" kit.