Sunday, February 23, 2014

208 Quiz Answer

Answer: Julius Caesar

(Also for Three Word Wednesday and ABC Wednesday: "G" is for "godlike")
I wrote the following scenelet, thinking it might remind you of a certain Shakespeare play.  Which play?

“Did you see that crowd as the general rode in from the airport?  What a mass of people! You’d think it was the president with that entourage and not just an army officer.”

“Well, I believe this army officer could be president, if he really felt like it.  The general returns bringing with him a list of victories that’s simply unprecedented.  The whole country is crazy about him.  To a great many he’s positively godlike.”

“You think he wants to enter politics?”

“It sure has happened in the past.  A great general returns from the wars and is practically handed the presidency on a silver platter.  Hard to turn down.”

“We should find out soon enough when he addresses the Senate this afternoon.  My guess is that all the senators are going to line up and offer their enthusiastic support without a single dissenting vote.”

“Yeah, but there are a few who are – well, just a bit worried.”

“I know what you mean.  There’s maybe too much enthusiasm for the general.  Too much applause, too much acclaim.  If the people are totally behind him, he’d have total power as head of state.  That would leave all that herd in the Senate without much to do.”

“And then there’s that wild rumor that’s been going around – I’m sure you’re aware of it.”

“Yes, I know what you mean.  It’s silliness.  That the general aspires to be appointed king, by acclamation.  Preposterous.  He knows this is a republic and is going to remain one.”

“According to the rumor…”

“You’ve got to stop listening to rumors.  This man was ready to give his life for the republic.  He’s not some kind of ungrateful beast who's going to be the one to turn our country into a monarchy.”

“But get this.  Leon, the driver who picked him up this morning, heard the general and his wife arguing – real loud, he says.  While he's slurping his morning coffee she's yelling at him.  She believes he actually wants that king deal and that it’s dangerous.  If he does have that ambition, she said, there’d be quite a few folks who’d try to get rid of him.  Including a number of senators.”

“I still think it’s just a silly rumor.  Hard to imagine a group of senators turning into murderers.”

 

33 comments:

kaykuala said...

Would think it's Julius Caesar, Berowne!

Hank

Berowne said...

Kaykuala has started us off with the first correct answer.

The Blog of Bee said...

Julius Ceasar

Berowne said...

Bee of the Blog of Bee, also known as Bee's Blog, anyway that Bee has the right answer.

Doctor FTSE said...

Julius Caesar, I think.

Roger Owen Green said...

I have two guesses. If this one's wrong, I go with Plan B.

Julius Caesar

Berowne said...

Roger Owen Green and Doc FTSE are two more who've presented us with the correct answer.

naturgesetz said...

The first lines had me thinking Othello. Then I was thinking Titus Andronicus, but when we got to the part about it being a republic, I decided it's Julius Cæsar.

Berowne said...

The right answer has just arrived from naturgesetz. Congrats.

Silent Otto said...

I thought about this for quite a while while the earth slowly rotated on its axis , and my thoughts dedlected to the left and the right , but still i have no idea !

Kathe W. said...

I think it's Julius Caeser.
and thanks for your nice comments on my blog. Have a great week!

Berowne said...

Kathe W is the latest to bring us the correct answer.

21 Wits said...

A quick read brought nothing, so I shall have to reread!

Reader Wil said...

Thanks for this quiz. I didn't read all Shakespeare's plays, so I 's better not do some guess work!
Wil, ABCW Team.

Leslie: said...

Julius Caesar?

21 Wits said...

Well, you know the thing about rumors! Rumor has it, I still have no idea! It was an interesting read, but I'm more of make love not war kind of girl!

Shailaja V said...

I would go with Julius Caesar, for this one.

Helena said...

I wish I'd payed more attention in English classes now! I haven't a Scooby!

Berowne said...

Shailaja V and Leslie sre two more with the correct answer.

Hildred said...

Julius Caesar perhaps?

Sharp Little Pencil said...

I'm thinking Julius Caesar. So glad to be back blogging, and thanks for your words of encouragement, B. Amy

Berowne said...

Hildred and Amy of SLP hsve both given us the right answer.

humbird said...

Julius Caesar

Berowne said...

Put humbird on the list of those who know the correct answer.

Old Egg said...

Julius Caesar.

Sheilagh Lee said...

no idea

Tess Kincaid said...

Julius Caesar

Berowne said...

Both have the right answer: Tess Kincaid and oldegg.

Ginny Brannan said...

I am very bad at guessing, but I did enjoy reading!

RMP said...

I do enjoy the modern feel of this... I fear guessing, for I fear being wrong...but the general reminds me of a man who was thrice presented a kingly crown which he did thrice refuse...

Anonymous said...

Julius Caesar !

The Blog of Bee said...

I'm so glad I did Shakespeare!

ms pie said...

a most delightful read... another view of caesar.. heck yeah...!!!

 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Christy Skagg's "A Little Bit of That" kit.