Sunday, April 20, 2014

216 Quiz Answer


 
Ezra Pound was one of the greatest writers of the past century, a major figure of the modernist movement.  There was Yeats, Joyce, Eliot – and Pound.

(Also for ABC Wednesday: "O" is for "orneriness")

I am a poet.

 

I am one of the greatest of the modernist movement.

 

One aspect of my work was to use ancient Chinese poetry as my source.  And in my translations I created a unique literary style.  As an example, take this poem to a little girl:

 

“Tree you are, moss you are.

You are violets with wind above them.

A child - so high - you are,

And all this is folly to the world.”     

 

I explained my method with Chinese poetry in this way: The blossoms of the apricot blow from the east to the west, and I have tried to keep them from falling,”

 

But just when you believed you understood me, the peaceable poet, I wrote this: ''Modern civilization has bred a race with brains like those of rabbits and we artists who have been so long the despised are about to take over control.''

 

And for sheer orneriness, this: ''The modern artist must live by craft and violence. His gods are violent gods.”

 So now…

 

Think on these things.  Think on the lightness, the delicacy of my poetry.

 

“A child – so high – you are.”

 

Think how I tried to keep the Confucian apricot blossoms from falling as they blew from east to west.

 

And think too…

 

That you kept me, certainly one of the greatest poets of the age, locked like a caged animal, in an actual animal’s cage.

 

And then answer this.

 

Who am I?

 

35 comments:

Helen said...

Ezra Pound ......

Jennifer said...

Ezra Pound?

Jennifer said...

Ezra Pound?

kaykuala said...

Ezra Pound it is, Berowne!

Hank

Berowne said...

Helen, Jennifer and kaykuala are three early birds with the right answer.

Cait O'Connor said...

I like this post, much to think about.

Cait O'Connor said...

And is it Ezra Pound?

Kathe W. said...

E E Cummings

The Blog of Bee said...

A wild guess - Ezra Pound?

Berowne said...

The Blog of Bee - right again = and Cait O'Connor have provided us with the right answer.

Julie Jordan Scott said...

You are...
You are...
You are....

(I can't read what Helen, Jennifer and Kaykuala said so I decided to wax philosophical!)

Always grand to read you.

Charleen said...

I don't know who you are, but that was a very interesting string of sentences to read...

Doctor FTSE said...

Ezra Pound?

Kathe W. said...

Ezra Pound

humbird said...

Ezra Pound

Berowne said...

Three more with the right answer: Doc FTSE, Kathe W and humbird.

Old Egg said...

This is the American emigre poet Ezra Pound.

Berowne said...

Another correct answer, this time from oldegg.

Roger Owen Green said...

It's either Yoda or Ezra Pound. Frank Oz, who voiced Yoda, is English. Hmm. guess I'll go with lb.

Berowne said...

Roger Owen Green just checked in with the correct answer.

Sharp Little Pencil said...

Sorry I have not been around, Berowne. Riley had a friend's death to deal with, and Holy Week, well..

Ezra Pound. Champion of many artists, a riddle of political contradictions, and yes, once was imprisoned in a 6 by 6 cage. A great writer and an enigma. Thank you for this. Amy

Truedessa said...

"As drops that dream and gleam and falling catch the sun"

lovely post to read this morning..

answer: Ezra Pound

Silent Otto said...

Yi Ching the Wise King...learned sage

Berowne said...

Sharp Little Pencil and Truedessa are the latest with the right answer.

21 Wits said...

I believe it to be, Ezra Pound!

Berowne said...

Another right answer, this time from Karen S.

Leslie: said...

I was never much into poetry when I was younger, but now it speaks to me in a way that I'm sure maturity has helped me to understand it. In this case, it's Ezra Pound.

Leslie
abcw team

Susan Anderson said...

Ezra Pound, but I cheated by asking my sister, the English teacher. As usual, she knew it…or at least, I'm assuming she is right...

=)

Hildred said...

Ezra Pound?

Altonian said...

Let's say Ezra Pound - no lightweight!

Berowne said...

Add Leslie, Sue and Hildred to the list of those with the correct answer.

Berowne said...

Altonian has just joined us, and again with the right answer.

Tess Kincaid said...

Ezra Pound

Berowne said...

I'm pleased to welcome Tess Kincaid, who also has the correct answer.

Anonymous said...

Ezra Pound, whose work I have not read since High School.
Thank you for inciting a return to read some of these works once more.

 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Christy Skagg's "A Little Bit of That" kit.