Sunday, December 6, 2015

Berowne's 297

(Also for Three Word Wednesday and ABC Wednesday: "V" is for "vanished.")

Berowne has no quiz this week; instead - a Love Story.

I had sat at the typewriter for over an hour, trying to figure out what to write. (This happened back in the days before ‘pewters.)

I had received an extraordinary letter.  It was from a man up in Rhode Island, a man I had known in the old days.

It was a delicate matter; I had known him and also known his wife, back before they were married.  I had known her, actually, rather well.

In his letter he said she had left him and he thought I might be able to help him find her. The problem of what to write was suddenly solved because the phone rang.  Since he hadn’t received an answer to his letter he decided to call me directly.  He got right to the point.

"Reason I wrote you, you went with her for a year or so back then, before we got married."

“A year or so?  It was actually a few months.  And ‘went with her’ isn’t really accurate; we were friends.”

“That ain’t what I heard.”

“So, well, anyway, how is Marilyn?  Okay I hope.”

“Marilyn? You don’t even remember her name. It’s Maureen.”

“Oh, right. You know, it was a long time ago; I was just out of college.  I don’t remember everyone I knew in those days.”

“Well, as I wrote you, she left. Just got up and left.  Vanished."

“Yes, I was sorry to read that.”

“It got me upset; my whole family is upset. It even got her family upset. A married woman.  My wife.  Just up and leaves.  Anyway, I thought you might help.”

“Sure, if I can.”

“Here’s the thing.  If she should ever contact you – you know, call on the phone to talk over old times or whatever – could you tell her that what she really ought to do is go back to her husband.  And then let me know where she’s staying.  It’s important I find out where she’s staying.”

“Why do you think she left?”

“Who knows?  Maybe she just don’t like Rhode Island.”

“She told me, way back when she was first talking about getting married, that she felt vulnerable, that you weren’t – well – all that nice to her.”

“That’s baloney.  As her husband, I worked hard, fifty hours a week sometimes, to get her whatever she needed.  You can’t be much nicer than that.”

“But, you never – I’m just trying to figure out why she left -- you never abused her, never hit her or anything like that?”

His voice was resonant with anger: “What’re you -- a shrink or somethin’!?   I didn’t call you to get a lecture!  I’m a husband from the old school.  My whole family, we know how to treat women.”

“Well, I’m sorry I can’t be of much help.  But I'll go along with you; if I should ever hear from her, I’ll tell her to go back to her husband.  Goodbye.”  I hung up the phone.

“Was that him?” she asked.

“Yes.  I just hope he stays up there and doesn’t come down here to our placid life in New York.  As I remember, he was a pretty big guy.  I’d be inclined to avoid a confrontation.”

“Yes, we’ve got to be careful. When I mentioned divorce, he said he’d kill me first.”


“And that would mean me second.  I can just picture my possible obituary - guess this is what they call living dangerously.  But it’s worth it, Maureen, to have you with me again.”



24 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Not an autobiographical story, is it?

ROG, ABCW

Berowne said...

Actually, ROG, it is.

Truedessa said...

Wow, that is some story..and how did the story end? Sorry, my curiosity sometimes gets the best of me.

Anonymous said...

uh, oh! hope the husband never figures it out.

Wayne said...

Nicely done Berowne😀

EG CameraGirl said...

Scary, methinks, It sent a chill down my spine. Very well written.

Unknown said...

Oops....and that is called 'a little white lie?'

Wishing everyone all the luck in the world, love is the most powerfull thing wich we all should cherish ... hope you all stay safe.

Have a nice abc-day / - week
♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc-w-team)

beataboutthebook said...

Good luck to the runaway and her new friend.
BeatAboutThe Book

Reader Wil said...

Wonderful love story. It is not over yet, I hope that it has a great happy end. Are we going to read that too?
Wil, ABCW Team

Berowne said...

I wish I knew the end of the story, because most of it actually happened.

Anonymous said...

incredible.

Hildred said...

Living dangerously - on the edge...

Berowne said...

The only way to fly.

Leslie: said...

I left my husband (actually kicked him out) and finally haven't heard from him for a while. Hopefully, he doesn't come by or phone or email (I've blocked him). If he does, he'll get a shock that I don't live there anymore. And I've told everyone I know NOT to tell him where I live. Hope you and Maureen don't get bothered by the "wonderful" husband!

Leslie
abcw team

Old Egg said...

Well, well, well! Berowne is a real human being just like the rest of us!

Berowne said...

Was there a question? :-)

Jae Rose said...

Ah yes true love conquers all - even scary ex husbands..let's hope they can maintain a poker face and avoid any confrontation...

Sheilagh Lee said...

let's hope he never shows up.Scum!! Great story.

Christopher Kerry Scott Sophie Johnson said...

perfect write.

Berowne said...

Thanx to all five of you for your generous comment.

The Blog of Bee said...

Good for Maureen - and for you! Guess he's not bright enough to read a blog!

Kathleen said...

And I do hope Maureen found all the gentleness and sweet love she most certainly missed with the first gent. Safety is a blessing. Love exceeds all blessings.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I like your love story. Good for Maureen for finally leaving him. I'm glad she'll have some time with her love.

CHummelKornell said...

True story. (Now figure that out.)

 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Christy Skagg's "A Little Bit of That" kit.