Sunday, February 5, 2012

For Three-Word Wednesday, Magpie 103 and ABC Wednesday

"D" is for "Discussion"
Berowne has been having another discussion with his muse.

Here is a rare picture of her – rare because she does not usually seek publicity. Berowne is a bit upset because his muse has been absent for quite a while.
Berowne: “Where on earth have you been? I’ve been waiting around for weeks for you.”
Muse: “Well, if you think about it, I wouldn’t have been anywhere – on earth. We muses, or musi, live not just in a separate world but in a separate universe.”
B: “Oh, come off it. Stop trying to make yourself into something special and supernatural. We all know you’re just a figment of my imagination, not someone of flesh and blood, and what that means is that you should show up when you’re needed. You don’t seem to know the rules.”
M: “True, I don’t. Are the rules printed out somewhere? And do they mention pay, benefits, vacations and so on?”
B: “That’s rich. You seem to have just been on vacation for almost a month. What is this, France? At times I just don't feel I have control. But let’s get down to work. Willow has just posted another enigmatic prompt; to answer it I need inspiration.”
M: “Inspiration? Ah, that’s an angry equine – a horse of a different choler.”
B: “H’mm. Good thing I don’t depend on you for puns.”
M: "One of these days it’s going to come out that you depend on me for everything. What I was going to say, before I was so boorishly interrupted, is that what I do is come up with ideas. Most of them are like the children up in Lake Woebegone – above average – but I have to admit that maybe some of the ideas are not that great. However, they’re just ideas. Inspiration is something else. As Jack Nicholson might have said in ‘A Few Good Men,’ you can’t handle inspiration!”
B: “Oh, I could handle it all right, if you’d just come up with it. Anyway, here’s this week’s prompt. What do you make of it?"

M: “Good heavens! Where did you get that?”
B: “I didn’t get it; it’s a prompt. You’re familiar with it?”
M: “Why of course. To us it’s famous. It’s a tribute to us, to me, to the literary muse! It powerfully exemplifies our lives, our struggles. Pushed down, kept in the background, often ignored, we nevertheless manage to bring forth gems – note the powerful symbol of an avant-garde ruby that represents the razor-sharp product of our labor.”
B: “I have to admit I’m impressed. It’s true, I haven’t been as appreciative as I could have been for your efforts. And I know I’ve been a bit churlish in the past…”
M: “A bit?”
B: “But this wonderful picture changes things. I’ll be properly grateful for the invaluable work of my muse in the future.”
M: “Good. Now, could we get back to that discussion of pay and benefits?”

51 comments:

Leslie: said...

Where do you come up with your ideas? Oh yes, your muse! Now where has mine gone?

Helena said...

Lol.....you sure know how to a-muse! A right gem of a post!

Tess Kincaid said...

Delightful...I love that you saw the image as the muse...she certainly kept you company today...

Roger Owen Green said...

I'm inspired to look for MY muse.

Berowne said...

Tess K: "Delightful."
Thanks. I hope as delightful as the great prompts you keep coming up with week after week.

Berowne said...

Helena: "Lol.....you sure know how to a-muse!"
That's what we need in these difficult times - more puns! Thanks so much.

Richard Theodore Beck said...

yes---i've been working on three novels/novellas since christmas --- they wake me up at 1 am ; sometimes 2; i prefer 3

it's different from writing poetry--- it's like composing a 1000 mile trip instead of just one block...and sometimes you forget the muse and leave him at the gas station but for some reason, maybe because you are angry with him, you wait for him down the road and make him walk all the way to catch up to you...

Kathe W. said...

ah Berowne- tis a magnificent gem you have 'ere.

Wander said...

I like the way your mind bends...." Most of them are like the children up in Lake Woebegone – above average" this was the funny of the day for me. I was wondering when you would be back.

http://wanderwithoutbeinglost.blogspot.com/2012/02/grave-so-fine.html

Wander

DCW said...

Thoughtful but not grave. This was entertaining.

ninotaziz said...

Oh, this is totally unexpected and delightful.

JJ Roa Rodriguez said...

They said it all... Amazing write!..

JJrod'z

Brian Miller said...

smiles...this was fun berowne...yes i imagine the muse may respond just like that at times...ha

Kay L. Davies said...

This is great, Berowne. I love it. You are always interesting, and this time you're also amusing.
K

JANU said...

Nice one...good tribute to the writers.

Isabel Doyle said...

Double pay and extra rations for the good lady, Sir.

izzy said...

Fabulous, -my muse is so invisible and inseparable- thanks!

Wayne Pitchko said...

nicely done...thanks for sharing

Berowne said...

Here's a healthy serving of thank-yous to a fine group of folks: Wayne P, izzy, Isabel D, JANU, Kay L D, Brian M, ninotaziz, DCW, Wander, Kathe W and Theodore D R.

Tumblewords: said...

It is about the muse. Fortunately yours seems to hang about with you a lot. :)

Cad said...

Well that put a positive spin on a 'deadly' picture! LOL

Carver said...

What a fun discussion with your muse. My muse is so deep underground she doesn't even talk back. Carver ABC Wednesday, Team

Helen said...

Muse is right on the money!

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

An entertaining, clever and amusing discussion!
Muse: 1
Berwone: zip

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Excellent conversation with your muse - it is a wonderful picture.

Anna :o]

Doctor FTSE said...

Well honed! And polished.

Berowne said...

Paula S: "Muse: 1, Berwone: zip."
Couldn't you give me half a point for effort? :-)

Berowne said...

Doc FTSE: "Well honed! And polished."
Thanks so much. I finally figured out what FTSE stands for - For The Sake of Excellence. :-)

Susan Anderson said...

Yours is a dialogue that is definitely worth *muse*ing over...hope the salary negotiations go well...

;)

ChrisJ said...

My muse has been missing for about a month and it's been a downright grind to put anything on paper never mind come up with fresh inspirational ideas. But I think I feel her returning very faintly. Are muses always 'she's'?

Unknown said...

What a fun read and interesting ideas. I like the image and the color

http://shydub-simplehappylife.blogspot.com/2012/02/abc-wednesday-dinosaur-and-delta.html

Berowne said...

ChisJ: "Are muses always 'she's'?"
That's the wonderful thing about 'em. They can be anything you want them to be. :-)

Sheilagh Lee said...

love the conversation with your muse:)

Cgull said...

Didn't realize Ms. Muse needed a salary :-)

Cathy Feaster said...

haha...your muse is a bit snarky. I like her! This was so much fun!!

Old Egg said...

Knowing how fickle she is there is no way I would cross her!

Unknown said...

Your muse deserves every benefit you can give her, so please never doubt her again.
HelenMac
ABC Team

Angel said...

Very witty conversation.

Unknown said...

beautifully written...i love it.

Berowne said...

R1: "Beautifully written...i love it."
Beatiful comment; I love it. :-)

Intelliblog said...

Once again a lovely take on the image!
Thank you for your very kind words on my page.

dandelion girl said...

Brilliant! I have a very naughty *cough* excellent muse that likes to flutter in and out of my life. x

Berowne said...

dandelion girl: "I have a very naughty 'cough' excellent muse."
You've got to do something about that cough. :-)

Sharp Little Pencil said...

Quite surprised Viv hasn't commented on your, "What is this, France?" Delightful. Your muse is quite amusing and looks somewhat like a Disney mermaid! My muse has no form whatsoever... just goes in one ear and out the other, depositing sprinkles of dreams in my mind... Amy
Here's my take:
http://sharplittlepencil.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/dissonance-the-races-we-run/

Berowne said...

S. L. Pencil: "Your muse is quite amusing and looks somewhat like a Disney mermaid!"
Yes, she works in Orlando during the summer months. :-)

Lydia said...

Ah, this discussion was sheer delight to listen in on. Your muse is very pretty. Perhaps she needs to be complimented on her delicate beauty. Certainly, musi (I love that so much!) can be as vain as any of us. I say let's remember our musi on Valentine's Day and it might keep them nearby us for longer stretches of time this year. :)

Berowne said...

Lydia: "I say let's remember our musi on Valentine's Day."
Very good idea...

ds said...

"an angry horse of a different choler" *snort*
I love your puns, and the way you honored your muse. Fun stuff! Thank you.

Tina´s PicStory said...

beautiful girl :)

Mimi Foxmorton said...

I can always count on you for a smile. :)

Excellent!

The Collage Pirate

maglomaniac said...

the discussion with the muse was awesome.now lets get back on the pay and benefits:P

http://maglomaniacs-chaos.blogspot.in/2012/02/parallels.html

 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Christy Skagg's "A Little Bit of That" kit.